Managing Your Knauss Fellowship
Managing Your Award
2024 KNAUSS FELLOWSHIP AWARD INFORMATION
Your Knauss Fellowship term is 13 months (2/1/2024-2/28/2025). The final month of the award can be utilized by the Fellow for relocation expenses and is not intended for Fellows to carry out host office activities or any other fellowship activities.
The budget for your fellowship is broken down accordingly-
1. $68,000 – 12-month stipend ($5,666 x 11 months, $5,674 x 1 month)
2. $5,000 – The remaining fellowship funds will be used to cover allowable expenses. Allowable expenses could include, but are not limited to, relocation prior to and following the fellowship, academic tuition, journal publication fees, academic- and fellowship-related travel, conference fees, online trainings and workshops. These expenses will be paid on a reimbursement basis.
California Sea Grant will send you an invitation to create a profile in PaymentWorks the UC San Diego payee registration system. You will be paid via Payment Authorization (non-payroll) through UC San Diego Disbursements. Direct Deposit is required so stipend payments and other reimbursements will be sent directly to your bank. Your stipend payment will be issued monthly around the 1st of each month and is paid one month in arrears. Timely payment of your first stipend payment is dependent upon your timely enrollment in PaymentWorks.
You are not employed by California Sea Grant or UC San Diego; you are classified as a Knauss Fellow (non-UC Personnel) in the payment/travel reimbursement system.
No taxes are taken out of your fellowship award and you will be responsible for them during your fellowship. No tax forms will be issued by UC San Diego or California Sea Grant.
Knauss Fellows are required to submit a professional development plan which they will prepare in collaboration with their host office supervisor and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org within the first 60 days of the fellowship. Fellows must submit a mid-year report and a comprehensive final project progress report. You will receive an email with information about due dates and how to submit your report via the eSeaGrant portal.
Fellowship-Related Travel Procedure
Fellowship-related travel will be reimbursed using the following procedure.
- Travel request is sent by the fellow to California Sea Grant (via email to Vivian Le) and includes written approval from the host office supervisor along with a completed pre-authorization estimate form. California Sea Grant will review the request and approve or return for edits prior to travel.
- Foreign Travel requires compliance with the Fly America Act (Federal travelers are required by ‘49 U.S.C. 40118’ to use “U.S. flag” air carrier service for all air travel and cargo transportation services funded by the U.S. government).
- Fellow travels and provides all receipts to California Sea Grant via email to Vivian Le (reimbursing actual meal expenses up to $79/day) along with a completed travel reimbursement form. California Sea Grant Knauss Fellows will abide by UCSD travel policy.
Fellowship Contact: email@example.com
Reporting Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stipend and Travel Questions: