California Sea Grant is a collaboration of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the State of California, and universities across the state to create knowledge, products and services that benefit the economy, the environment, and the citizens of California.
California Sea Grant envisions a future in which people live in balance with coastal and marine habitats and resources, noting that the wellbeing of Californians is closely tied to the quality of our environment and our natural resources. We envision an educated and engaged public that makes decisions based on sound, scientific information, resulting in sustainable, thriving human communities, and natural ecosystems.
California Sea Grant’s mission is to provide integrated research, extension, outreach, and education to help Californians balance diverse interests that intersect with the coastal and marine environments, and adapt to changing conditions and needs. We accomplish this by collaborating with a range of local, state, regional, national, and international partners to further the acquisition and application of relevant scientific knowledge.
California Sea Grant offers these services for coastal and marine science and policy issues
- Grant and fellowship opportunities for scientists and graduate students
- Complete proposal solicitation, review, and grant administration services
- Extension specialists dedicated to impartial research and outreach for coastal stakeholders and communities
- News and National Sea Grant library services
- Connection to a nation-wide network of Sea Grant experts and partners