California Sea Grant Seeks Fund Manager
California Sea Grant (CASG) is excited to announce an open position on our fiscal team that will be based at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla.
The Fund Manager serves as a member of the team responsible for the accounting activities of a large statewide program with research projects, fellowships, and extension services based throughout California.
The Fund Manager will use skills as a seasoned, experienced research administrator to independently develop and/or oversee research proposals, awards and/or transactions related to contract and grant management and maintain contract and grant records in compliance with institutional research sponsor policies. The position will include working on proposals and awards of diverse scope where analysis of data requires a thorough understanding of complex regulations. The role will also require working on complex proposals and awards that may involve multiple investigators and/or multiple sub-awards.
The Fund Manger can expect to do the following:
- Advise PI's and staff on UC and agency rules, regulations, funding restrictions, applicable overhead rates, required language for budget justifications, cost-sharing rules, fees, and funding trends.
- Be responsible for a high degree of accuracy in compiling budget data, spending projections, and salary and benefit rates for the proposal submittals.
- Compile information from multi-faceted research groups and from other UCSD/SIO departments and external organizations, including universities, state and federal agencies, research institutions, non-profits and industry partners.
- Complete and approve transactions for approval/signature by the manager or other authorized institutional official.
- Follow through on proposal applications, agency reporting requirements, no-cost extensions, re-budgets, continuations, and renewals.
- Maintain contract and grant records in compliance with institutional research sponsor policies.
The Fund Manager is also responsible for the full post-award administration of sponsored awards, the processing and billing of service agreements, and for billing complex awards. Responsibilities include preparing monthly financial statements, reviewing the appropriateness of expenditures, availability of funds and applicable funding restrictions, preparing allocations and budget adjustments transfers, as required, and preparing cost transfers and other financial adjustments for fiscal closing and award close-out. Other responsibilities include preparing and processing travel and entertainment reimbursements, processing and reconciling other types of payments and expenses, and maintaining department spreadsheets and files for California Sea Grant's many research and fellowship awards.
The Fund Manager must be able to interact professionally and confidently and incorporate assertive methods of connecting with PIs, specialists, fellows, agency contacts, and other institutional financial resource offices. The role will require working effectively in a team environment by participating in and contributing to business office procedures and policy planning. The Fund Manager will be expected to provide fiscal advice, assistance and guidance to researchers, fellows, and other business contacts and department support staff. This position also acts as a liaison with other central campus departments at UCSD, other UC campuses, and other public and private institutions.
The Fund Manager can work fully remote or in a hybrid role at California Sea Grant's offices in La Jolla.
View more detailed information about this position on UCSD's employment website.
Applications close Monday, March 20 at midnight.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco-free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.