Managing Your Award
Knauss Fellows are required to submit a professional development plan in lieu of an annual report.
- Domestic travel includes travel to all US possessions or trusts, such as Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Trust Territories, Guam and Samoa.
- Reimbursement for travel expenses shall not be higher than the University of California approved travel rates.
- CASG requires a written request with justification at least fifty (50) days PRIOR to the trip in order to notify the National Sea Grant office. Your trip should be approved by your host prior to submitting the request to California Sea Grant. Once the host approves your travel, please e-mail the request with subject line "Knauss travel request" to Jim Eckman (firstname.lastname@example.org) and copy Tisha Salas (email@example.com) in the email.
- Travel Checklist: All foreign travel must be in compliance with the Fly America Act. US air carriers must be used on all portions of the route where service is provided. If a foreign carrier is used on any portion of a trip when no US carriers are available, a completed Fly America Act Waiver Checklist must be submitted.
- Requests for prior approval should be written in the third person and include the following:
- Traveler’s name;
- Dates traveled;
- Reason for the trip;
- Origin and destination of the travel;
- Detailed itinerary of the travel, name of the air carrier, and flight number for each leg of the trip (a PDF of a quote from an airline with details of the proposed trip and cost should accompany the letter); and
- Detailed cost for lodging, meals, registration (e.g., Lodging 3 days @ $/day = $; Meals 3 days @ $ govt per diem rate or less)