Interested in getting connected with California's MPA system, or participating in education or outreach related to MPA's? Explore the resources below. Did we miss something? Please contact us if you have links or resources to add to this list.
- MPA Collaborative Project Library: From coloring books to brochures and videos, find and download educational resources, lesson plans, and information for all ages.
- Outreach Toolkit: A suite of resources, including brochures, signs, maps, exhibits, posters and more, all specific to MPAs and developed by many partners across the state of California. A majority of these materials are available for immediate download or view and many can serve as templates for different regions.
- California Marine Protected Area Network Outreach and Education Guide (PDF): This document was created by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to help ensure consistent and accurate MPA messaging across the state. Note: this is a living document and the content may change as policies change or new information and/or resources become available.
- Ocean Sport Fishing and Marine Protected Area Regulations: This interactive map is designed for use on mobile devices. It provides quick reference to California recreational sport fishing and MPA regulation.
Sign up for news
California Sea Grant MPA news stories
- Research measures impact of California's ocean preservation policy (2019)
- Ocean Protection Council awards $9.5 million for marine protected area monitoring (2019)
- Study finds strong support for ocean protection (2018)
- A career that shaped MPA design, from California to Belize (2016)
- Study: For central California’s marine protected areas, recovery will take time (2015)
- Research offers a snapshot of the coastline before Refugio Oil Spill (2015)
- Are marine reserves in Southern California working? Updates on MPA research (2013)
- Beach crustaceans going locally extinct (2013)
- Study: Seabird chick survival linked to diet (2013)